Friday, April 06, 2012

NEXT PROJECT AT THE CASA: CHALKBOARD WALL

As soon as I finish painting the fireplace, I'm going to move on to a different painting project in the kitchen - a chalkboard wall. At first Alan and I discussed doing a small area right as you enter the kitchen but the more I looked at pictures on Pinterest, the more I wanted to do a full wall. I'm thinking the wall on the right. Have any of you done a full chalkboard wall? Do you love it? Would love to hear feedback.






Source: google.com via Becky on Pinterest








Source: houzz.com via Becky on Pinterest






Source: atticmag.com via Becky on Pinterest








2 comments:

  1. Linda Roos12:38 PM

    I just finished one. It's not a full wall, more like the fifth image of yours above. It was a pain in the butt. We decided to paint it on the side of a tall kitchen cabinet at the entrance to the kitchen. The husband sanded the cabinet and then painted directly on it. he did a terrible job with waaaaay too much paint and ended up a big mess. So after waiting a month for him to fix it, I finally had to do something. So I got a piece of thin board and painted it. Only, the paint made the board twist and so glueing the damn thing on the cabinet was impossible for a normal person with only two hands. In the end I had to screw it on. I've painted the screws as well but it's not exactly what I had planned in the beginning. So, long story short, if you have a husband who is a lousy painter, make sure to do it yourself. I would also reccomend to use a short haired roller instead of a brush. Also to do two or three thin layers instead of one thick.

    I haven't gotten any pens yet (we're getting pens rather than regular chalk) so it's not decorated yet, but I'm planning to do a post about it tomorrow or Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good feedback on the brush vs roller debate. I usually use a brush for everything I paint, but I can see where the roller would be the right option. I'm thinking of priming with a magnetic primer so we can also use it as a bulletin board of sorts. I'm just worried that if I do such a big area it'll make the room look so dark. 

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....