Thursday, August 14, 2014

Goodbye Invisalign!

Back in late November 2012, I embarked on what was supposed to be a 50-week journey with Invisalign. I was one of the lucky ones - my smile wasn't terrible, but even though I'd already had braces as a teenager, my wisdom teeth had pushed my lower front teeth out of alignment, resulting in one tooth that was quite out of whack. Really, I wouldn't have done anything about it except for the fact that about once a month while I'd be talking excitedly, I'd somehow manage to bite my lip and take a giant chunk of flesh out of my lower mouth. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

After prompting from both my dentist and Alan and I embarked upon a 22-tray Invisalign treatment. You're supposed to switch trays every two weeks, so this should have been a 44-week treatment. Easy you say? Yeah, well. Not so much. At least for me. Those two week cycles assume that you're wearing your Invisalign 22 hours a day. Because I do a lot of talking for my job, and the Invisalign really impacted my ability to speak properly, I spent maybe 16 hours a day in my devices. Ultimately, this lead to a much longer period in my Invisalign trays. I really wish I could have done the recommended 44-week treatment plan, but it really wasn't an option for my lifestyle. What I will say about Invisalign is that your mileage may vary.

Finally after what felt like a very long time to fix one tooth (but was really a whole bit problem), I was declared done, and now I'm rocking an Invisalign-free smile for all the world to see.

done with invisalign

 

Would I do it again? I don't know. For me, the choice to undergo this method of orthodontia was purely cosmetic. I could have lived just fine with my wonk tooth. While I had instances of pain and aggravation, I wasn't a dire case in need of major work. That said, I'm really happy to no longer have to deal with a wonk tooth and the issues associated with taking a chunk out of your lower lip on a regular basis.

The funny thing is, because of the way my smile is shaped many people never even saw my wonk tooth, so after more than 1.5 years of Invisalign treatment they might not see a major change. To be honest, I looked back at over two years of selfies in Instagram and I'm not sure I see a major change in my smile. But yeah, the wonk tooth is gone and that's great. Still, it's a pretty expensive cosmetic procedure to undertake and if I had other major pressing financial commitments, I'm not sure I'd prioritize this over something else.