Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Recipe: Sunday Pancakes

We're pretty much a low carb household, but every now and then I get a hankering for foods that require a boat load of carbs. This weekend was one of those times. Alan woke me up on Sunday morning and asked me what I wanted for breakfast. Because I'd recently gone to the store, we had a ton of options - bacon & eggs, frittata, (leftover) breakfast burrito. I quickly sorted through my brain box to figure out what we had on hand, and within seconds I immediately shied away from the savory options and narrowed in on a Carby McCarberson option: pancakes. Strengthening this notion was the fact that we had blueberries from the farmer's market that weren't long for this world.

Because we don't typically eat pancakes, I don't necessarily have a recipe on hand. Generally, I know what's involved in the making of pancakes, but by no means am I a pancake expert (braised chicken thighs, however? Expert.) I immediately turned to my good friend Pinterest, and after reviewing several different recipes settled on the great Martha Stewart as the option that made the best sense.

This was Martha's basic pancake recipe, and while I'm sure it's perfect for her, I found the addition of the blueberries created a bit of a thicker batter than was entirely necessary, so I ended up adding about 1/4 cup of water to the mixture to make it more spreadable in the pan. When all was said and done, these were literally the best pancakes I have ever made. Now, I know that's not saying much since I'm not a pancake expert, but OH MY GOD. I would make these again and again and again if they didn't mean an extra 10 pounds on my hips by the end of the year.

IMG_1534 IMG_1549 IMG_1538 IMG_1537 IMG_1541 IMG_1545 IMG_1548 IMG_1547 IMG_1550