Wednesday, March 28, 2012

HEALTHY SNACKS

Typically I don't love healthy snacks. I love sweets. I love things that are bad for me. It's a curse, really, because I have a really hard time finding treats that are sweet enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, but not made up of gross things that should never go in ones body.

A couple of years ago Alan introduced me to LARABARS and I was hooked - especially the cherry pie flavor. It doesn't taste exactly like cherry pie but it's sweet and tart and everything that a good cherry pie is. There are about 20 other flavors available as well - Alan's favorite is the Cashew Cookie version. They're not carb free but they are gluten free so that's a huge positive for me. (Even though I'd like to lose 20 more pounds I'm thinking about switching away from low carb, no gluten to just a gluten-free diet since I'm finding our way of eating more and more limiting and I'm cheating all the time anyhow). Unfortunately, because the bars are made with all natural ingredients they can be quite expensive. I have no qualms about paying a higher price for better foods, but it can get expensive which is why I was thrilled when I stumbled across this recipe for homemade cherry pie bars.

I can't wait to give these a try ourselves!