Monday, April 11, 2011

Gallery Walls

There's been a lot of talk in the blogosphere and in design/lifestyle magazines lately about gallery walls. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to see this come back around as a major style element, but on the other hand, I feel like now the one I've had up for years isn't quite as nice as it could be.

When it came time to hang all of our photos I was working with a mish-mash of frames - both in terms of shape, material and size. At the time I decided that I didn't want a uniform look because that's not really what our house is all about. If nothing else we are eclectic and our gallery wall reflects that. And while our furniture placement and overall decor has changed, since it went up the gallery wall has remained.


I think in the years we've had it up I've changed out 3 pictures and added a watercolor we purchased outside the Uffizi in Florence. Those rose pictures? Stuck to the glass.







I think the thing I'm liking most about some of the gallery walls I'm seeing - and what is inspiring such envy - isn't the uniformity of it all. Okay, maybe there's some of that. The sheer size and scale is something that I'm really loving as well (ex: Young House Love).

I think I'd love to go hog wild in the dining room and turn it into a framapalooza where the opposite wall is also a gallery wall.  Or, maybe I take a page out of Brooklyn Limestone's playbook and erect a gallery wall around the television in our living room? We've already got a series of photos up there. All we'd need to do is play around with their placement and add smaller ones to fill in the space. Hmm, I think I'm liking this.

Want to see some other gallery walls? Well, you're in luck because there's a link party going on over at The Inspired Room. (Okay, so there was a link party going on over there. I'm about a week late. Oh well. It's the thought that counts, right?) Here are some of my faves that were posted: