Sunday, April 10, 2011

Alameda Antiques Faire

Still on the hunt for a new desk and some decor ideas, last Sunday we made our way to Alameda's old Naval base for the monthly Alameda Antiques Faire. We'd been once before a couple of years ago so we knew it could be a good location to stumble across some of the items we're looking for. It didn't hurt that it was a beautiful 65 degrees outside with sunny skies.

Right away we came across a vintage European linen booth, at which I bought a pretty embroidered blue cloth depicting scenes of rural Dutch life. I plan to turn it into a curtain for the laundry room (to replace the cloth napkins that are currently hung by rings from a janky tension rod). This of course will require me breaking out the sewing machine that I use maybe once a year, but I feel up to the tast. Maybe. I'm not exactly a gifted seamstress. Threading the bobbin gives me heart palpitations.

The rest of our day wasn't quite as lucrative, but we did see a lot of really great antiques, including some fabulous teak mid-century modern Danish sideboards and end tables. Alas, we have no need for such things, so we moved on. I seriously considered buying a salad bowl but at $70 I just didn't have it in me. Yes it was pretty, yes it was unique, but at the end of the day it was a $70 wood bowl. Since I'm not really a collector that seemed a pretty steep price for me. Now, I realize there are people out there that would consider that a bargain - these are the people that are serious about design, and especially mint condition vintage finds. I could buy a lot of wooden bowls at Target for that price, so I walked away. 

We wrapped up the afternoon with a delightful Mediterranean sandwich from one of the food trucks, and then made our way back home, bypassing all the crazy traffic by taking a route we knew about from the days when I worked in an office on the island. We felt that was our biggest win of the afternoon. 

Unfortunately, all that fresh air I got between the Scottish festival and the antiques faire left me feverish and sick. I've spent the entire week battling a monster of a spring cold. I think my face is going to explode from the sinus pressure. And don't get me started on the amount of snot I'm producing on an hourly basis. Too much? Sorry.