Sunday, August 10, 2014

Recipe: Grilled Corn Salad

For last weekend's BBQ at Nick & Claire's house, we were assigned a vegetable side dish. Now, I don't know about you, but the only veggie side dishes I routinely make are salads or roasted potatoes. I was at a complete loss. I polled my friends on Twitter and it was pretty unanimous that I should just bring some veggies to throw on the grill. That would have been the easy thing to do, but since I like cooking I really wanted to challenge myself to come up with something new that I could hopefully incorporate into my summer repertoire in the future. With that in mind, I made my way to Whole Foods where I stood around the produce section for at least 30 minutes trying to figure out what I could bring that (1) showed off my cooking skills, (2) tasted good, and (3) met the assignment. I ultimately decided on a corn dish since it was delivered fresh that morning. From there, I set out to pick up the rest of my ingredients.

Ingredients (serves 8):
6 ears of corn
1 package of queso
1 bunch of cilantro
1 lime
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
salt (to taste)

2

Directions:
Grill corn (minus husk) until browned
Remove kernels from cob and place in mixing bowl
Chop cilantro intro preferred sizes (I like mine small)
Crumble queso into the corn & cilantro mixture
Sprinkle cayenne over mixture
Top with juice of one lime
Mix all ingredients together
Salt to taste

This dish really could not be any simpler to make, and everyone at the BBQ loved it. Such a refreshing take on a side dish, and a great way to make use of all that summer corn.

3 1