Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Travel Oops

Our next vacation is to the west coast of Vancouver Island. To get there we take a direct flight to Vancouver International Airport, pick up our rental car, drive an hour to get to the ferry, check in up to an hour before the ferry leaves, embark on a two hour ferry trip to Vancouver Island, and then drive four hours to Tofino. All in all, it's a pretty travel intense day. And I royally screwed up on the way home.

Our flight home is at 7:05 p.m. I picked that one instead of the 8:30 p.m. flight because I didn't want us getting home too late (it's about an hour to get to our house from the airport if we take public transportation). Even though there's only an hour-and-a-half difference in flight times, that decision just made our day a bit more difficult than it needs to be.

We looked again last night and there are two ferry options off the island: one at 12:45 p.m. and one at 3:15 p.m. I swear when we first booked back in April there was a 2 p.m. ferry option but it's gone now. The nice lady at BCFerries told me that in order to make our 7 p.m. flight we definitely need the 12:45 one. That means we'll have to get there around noon, which means we'll have to leave Tofino at about 8 a.m. Basically, we have to rush in the morning so that we can then sit around for a couple of hours waiting to check in to our flight. Maybe we can get a late lunch at the cute little harbor town where we embarked upon on our Orca trip last summer? They had a ton of cute seafood and ice cream shops.

All in all I think it'll work out fine - it's just not ideal. And I hate "not idea." In case you haven't figured it out, I'm kinda all about planning - especially vacations - so when something goes wrong I get a big agro. Type A and all that.