Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Week in Pictures

Not a very good start to my new series, The Week in Pictures, I know. I had vowed to post every Sunday night and here it is Tuesday afternoon. Must get better about punctuality around here. With that ... last week in pictures.

On Tuesday night I met my friend Kelly in SF for dinner at Gitane. I shared an office with Kelly for about a year at my old job and she's one of the funniest ladies I know. She's also one of the few people that totally gets my often warped sense of humor. And my dislike of children. I'd never been to Gitane so this was a new experience for me. While the food was good, I really adored the alley it was located in.

SF alley (Taken with instagram)

Chutes & Ladders (Taken with instagram)

On Wednesday I went into the office to get a new screen installed on my laptop. I was also supposed to have a meeting with someone that was in from out of town. I wrote to said person a couple of times throughout the day and they never acknowledged me. I'm so glad I had another reason for going into the office because if I had spent three hours of my life in the car for a meeting that never happened, I would have been a bit more than angry. While at work I had people that I only see once a week looking at me funny. And then I remembered that I chopped off all of my hair. Because I've had this cut on and off for the past five years it doesn't really phase me and I don't think much of it. But apparently others do. And I'm still reeling from my mother in law voicing her hate for it out loud.

Wearing the earrings Alan bought me at the #Granville Public Market last summer for the 1st time (Taken with instagram)

On Friday night we met up with Seppo and Ei-Nyung for dinner at a Vienamese restaurant in downtown Oakland. We've been there about five times over the last 7 years or so. I remember it being phenomenal, but on the whole it was just good. There were a few dishes that knocked my socks off (rare beef with lemon) but everything else was pretty standard fare.

Tasty wraps (Taken with Instagram at Binh Minh Quan)

On Saturday we drove up to Alexander Valley to pick up some wine from Mercury Wine that we'd purchased at Barrel Weekend in 2010. We'd been there only once before and it was hipster heaven. And y'all know how I feel about hipster. *shudder* We thought we'd run in and out and be done with it, but we ended up being the only people in there on a chilly, overcast day. After saying hello to Freddie, the black lab mix, we met and chatted with the winemaker for about an hour. At the end of the conversation we really liked him and had a new appreciation for the winery. We're even talking about joining the wine club, but I'm worried about the hipster quotient. After Mercury we went to Soda Rock where there was a bridal shower going on. Damn those girls were loud. And who takes cigarette breaks while tasting $60 bottles of wine?

Bottles (Taken with instagram)

We did a couple of other things throughout the week but because this is supposed to be a photo narrative, I won't be able to tell you about them. It's unusual that I don't take any photos on my iPhone at least once a day but apparently I was too distracted Sunday at the Greek Food Festival and our new friends' house.