Thursday, March 19, 2015

Meghan Trainor Sets Feminism Back 50 Years?

Apparently, people are really up in arms over Meghan Trainor's newest single Dear Future Husband, calling it a sexist pile of shit and remarking on how it sets feminism back decades.

I have to admit that I was pretty baffled by those comments because I totally had a different take on it: when I first heard the song about a month ago and I laughed my ass off.

Let me explain ...

I had just had a pretty long conversation with some friends about how Instagram, Facebook, blogging, and other social media platforms have changed the way we view others.

I feel like a large majority of the more successful lifestyle bloggers have created a brand for themselves that is centered around the idea of a traditionally perfect life – mom, dad, 2 kids, dog, cat, white picket fence. Oh, and the mom always has perfect hair, a stylish wardrobe, and the most amazing family you will ever meet. The husband supports them financially and while we see him perfectly styled for photos, we never really learn anything about him. There's some allusion to what he does professionally, but he feels more like a stand in for the ideal, a mannequin for her to pose and primp.

Of course, anyone who has been paying attention to the game for any length of time knows that the reality of these families is often times far dirtier and more complicated than what they want you to see. (Cheating, divorces, money troubles don't really come as a surprise when they are revealed.)

So when I heard this song I immediately thought of these women who have crafted a world of make believe that millions of other women buy into and think is real. Almost instantly I wondered if this was Trainor’s commentary on the falsity of the images we are sold, if she’s perhaps singing these lyrics in a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" sort of manner, if she's telling us,“Yeah, that’s not real.”