Friday, August 23, 2013

NEW TRAVEL BAG EN ROUTE

I don't often write about fashion & accessories because - let's face it - I'm not exactly a fashionista. I'm most comfortable in a pair of flannel pants and a t-shirt. A couple of Christmases ago I showed up to Alan's parents' house in a pair of torn jeans and my "fancy" flannel. I'm not sure anyone but me thought it was funny (all we do is sit around for the entire day - I was the only one who was comfortable). That said, I have a weakness for a few things: sunglasses and purses.

On the purse front, my poison of choice is Coach. Right now I have three beautiful, large purses from there (and several other small ones) that I've used at various times for travel but they're not quite right. One doesn't have a zipper. The other barely fits my iPad. The other fits everything *but* my iPad. It's quite the conundrum.

With our trip to Scotland fast approaching, I wanted a new purse that was conducive to travel. Something that would fit my wallet, my iPhone, my iPad, and my various other items (lip balm, hand sanitizer, Altoids, kleenex, allergy pills, etc.). While shopping for new shoes for Alan a couple of months ago, I saw a purse from a company called Baggalinni that was made for travel: multiple zippered pockets of various sizes. Unfortunately it was kind of ugly. Alright, it was downright ugly. But so tailor-made for travelers. I hemmed and I hawed and in the end I decided I didn't want to spend $60 on a purse I wouldn't be happy carrying.

So I turned to my old love Coach. Strangely, I wasn't a fan of any of the current summer styles. Everything was a bit too girly for my liking. Lots of orange and fuchsia and not very practical. I wanted something that would be worn across my body, could prevent items from falling out, and was gorgeous to boot. That's actually a tall order in summer bags. So I did something unconventional: I clicked on the Men tab. Lo and behold, those bags were beauties. In the end, I ordered something called a Map bag (I have no idea what this means), in a gorgeous fawn colored leather. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed that it'll arrive before next Saturday morning.