Thursday, August 11, 2011

That Darn Bathroom

A couple of months ago (maybe six at this point, I can't recall) we had a slow, steady leak in our bathtub. Drip, drip, drip - all day, everyday. Rather than letting the water go to waste, while we waited for a plumber, we collected it in a Tupperware container and used it to water our plants. As the days went on the leak got worse and it got to the point where we ran out of plants to water. There was that much water.

Finally the plumber came and we had two options - a $300 (I think?) fix or a $3000 fix. The cheaper option - the one we opted for - had him fidgeting with the inner workings of the faucet and giving us new shower handles. The expensive option - the one we obviously didn't choose - involved ripping out the tile and getting a whole new apparatus. At least I think that's what the solution was. It's all a little fuzzy. I heard $$$ and stopped paying attention because really, we weren't going to go that route.

Except now we're back to having that same damn leak. But this time it seems worse. The water won't stop coming. I filled up a bowl already since cleaning the shower at around 10 a.m. It's no longer a slow drip. It's kind of like a thin stream of water at this point.

Sadly, I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and go for the expensive option. *sigh* It's not like we don't have the money, but with Alan starting his own company, and the costs associated with my continuing medical expenses paired with all the travel we've got lined up, having to shell out a couple extra thousand dollars isn't exactly a nice idea. Especially because I'm pretty sure that quite didn't involve anything that would beautify the room. I hate paying for work that I can't see, know what I mean?

I didn't mind when we shelled out nearly $10k for the new windows a couple of years ago because, "hey look, those are much nicer than those ugly aluminum ones we had before!" And new appliances? Well, those are pretty nifty too. New electrical? Yup, the lights turn on. New plumbing? Yup, the water works. I know those are essentials for modern living, but seeing as how the lights turned on before and the water does work, paying a boat load of cash to have it work better is always a hard pill to swallow.

As long as we're going to pay to have the room ripped apart, I'm going to advocate for a little beautification along the way. Our bathtub? HORRIBLE. I take a lot of baths and that thing's not cutting it. It's like four inches deep and I'm decidedly not four inches deep. And those ugly white 80s tile that we have all over the house? Wretched. Especially the spot where you can tell they used to have a soap dish but somehow knocked it out and re-grouted the one tile. It's a beauty. If you like things that look like they were done by preschoolers.

So yeah ... new bath tub. I'd like that.

New York T imes
via Coastal Living (Pinterest)
That Kind of Woman
Pinterest
As you can see, I have a bit of an affinity for clawfoot style tubs. When we stayed outside of Killarney, Ireland, our castle hotel had a reproduction slipper tub and it was magnificent. I'd like that for our own home. Now to convince Alan.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe since you wouldn't necessarily have to tile the bathroom walls with a clawfoot tub, you can convince him that the savings in the tile are worth the extra money for the tub? I love the slipper ones, like in the first picture. I think I would take a lot more baths if my bathroom looked like that. Good luck with your plumbing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - We wouldn't have to tile the walls, but we'd likely have to put in drywall or something since right now it's all lathe & plaster. We'd also have to spend additional money on an apparatus to turn a clawfoot tub into a shower. It won't be cheap, but I am in need of a better bathing solution.

    Of course, the drip is gone right now so any discussion about how to fix the bathroom becomes a back-burner type of thing. Who knows when it'll return ... just that it will.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....