Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Birthday reflections

A year ago today I was getting room service delivered at the Fairmont Empress in Victoria. This morning I've been awake since 2 a.m. and am now sitting in the living room of our home-away-from-home in Tofino, listening to the waves pounding the shore below.

It's been both a difficult and a wonderful year since my 33rd birthday.

It was during out trip last year that I decided that I couldn't continue on the same path that I had been on and that something had to give and it wasn't going to be me. A couple of months later with Alan's unwavering support I quit a very stressful, very toxic job ... with no new job lined up. I decompressed for a couple of weeks and then we spent Christmas with my sister and her family in Ohio. Unfortunately I got really sick while there and spent the first couple of months of 2011 trying to get over bronchitis, recurring fevers, and worsening GERD problems. After interviewing for several jobs that were identical to the one I'd left, I took a job that leveraged the skills I'd learned over the previous eight years in a much different corporate environment. Before starting that job we spent our 9th wedding anniversary in Hawaii. The day we returned from Kona, Alan gave notice at his job in order to launch his own company. In the months that have followed we've experienced career highs, but it's been tainted by this continuing black cloud of health problems on my end. And my mom getting diagnosed with cancer recently has also been heavy on my heart.

Overall, as I turn 34 I'm happy, but I'm also sad. But I'm confident that at some point all these tests will figure out what is wrong with me and we'll be able to move forward. I hope that by my 35th birthday I'm able to say that I'm both happy and healthy.

On the ferry (Taken with instagram)

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you a very happy birthday & much happiness & good health in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that this year has been trying. I'm confident that we'll both feel much better by your birthday next year. Getting cancer has been a wake up call for me. I'm going to change my diet and exercise alot more. I am confident that we will both be feeling good when you come visit me. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes Stucco!

    Mom - can't wait to visit this month!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....