Thursday, February 19, 2015

Why I (Don't) Love Oakland

I went for a walk this afternoon along Lake Merritt and took a bunch of lovely photos. I had every intention of coming home and writing a post about what a beautiful day it was in Oakland today but then I got home and watched three black guys in hoodies case the parking lot outside of my apartment and then break into vehicles - in broad daylight, with people around - and steal the owners' stuff. After I screamed at them that I saw what they did and that I had their car info, they piled into a fairly new Audi A6 or A8 (couldn't be entirely sure) and drove away. I called 911 which was answered by the highway patrol. The dispatcher took all of my information and then told me that I actually needed to speak with the police and so she transferred me. Then I gave all of my details to someone else who asked me if the break-in was still happening. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! They were long gone by the time I was transferred to you sir.

If this was an isolated incident, I'd be angry, but not this angry. But this happens every single day. You might think I'm exaggerating or using hyperbole, but you'd be wrong. Literally every day a car is broken into in this parking lot. You want to know why? Because no one will even try to stop these thieves, and so they continue their thuggery unabated.

The thing that makes me even more aggravated is that someone is going to try to tell me at some point that I'm being racist because I'm afraid of black guys in hoodies. Well, when they try to steal your purse (which is what happened to me last Christmas as I walked not two blocks from my apartment) and you watch them break into people's cars and steal their stuff, you tend to become leery of anyone who fits that description.

God I hate this city sometimes. I can't wait to leave.

signs