Wednesday, March 19, 2014

[DECOR] My Office Nook

I mentioned several weeks ago that we decided not to share an office anymore. You'd think with me working from home full time and Alan only using the office at night that it'd make more sense for me to keep the office, but for how we live, that actually didn't work the best. Since Alan pays the bills and keeps track of all of our paperwork, having a larger space is more important for him. So, I decided to camp out in a corner of our living/dining room.

I started out by working at the dining room table but that became rather problematic for my poor, achy joints. One weekend I was feeling all sorts of energized so I ran out to Ikea to look at desks and came home with this guy.


We already had the pictures up on the wall, so I was quite happy to see that the desk was tall enough to be a proper desk, but short enough not to require a reworking of the picture frames. 

I swapped a mica torchiere for this one that was on the other side of the room, and then went shopping for a desk chair. We have a beautiful mahogany lawyer's chair in our office - you may remember it's the chair that tried to kill me last year by flipping me backwards and then landing on me. So, in addition to it being dangerous, it also really hurts my tailbone, especially since I fell on the dock in Tofino straight onto my coccyx. 

I looked around, but ended up back at Cost Plus World Market, one of my favorite stores for dining room furniture. They were having a rather large sale that weekend and even though I called ahead to check on a specific style and was told it was in stock, when I arrived ... it wasn't. (You saw where that was going, right?) After dealing with some less than fantastic customer service, I drove home with two nail head trim chairs upholstered in a lovely linen color. 

When I'm not at my desk, it sits at the dining room table.


Did you notice our new hanging lamp? I got it at Target and I love it but apparently they don't sell this apparatus anymore. All told it was about $30, which is great because I was looking at similar items at Lamps Plus and they were over $100 + shipping.

Also from Target, I picked up these mirrors. Actually, I ordered them online. I was a little surprised at how small they are. Also? Super lightweight and kind of cheap. But, they're cute so there's that.


So, that's where I work.