Friday, May 10, 2013

NO WAIT, I LOVE THIS HOUSE EVEN MORE!

Back in 2007 we flew to Boston for a college friend's wedding reception. Leaving the airport we got in the wrong lane and instead of jumping on the highway we ended up taking the coastal route up to Newburyport, MA. While we were exhausted from our redeye, that was one of the best navigating mistakes we ever made (unlike, say, the time our GPS took us to a ferry in Cork that was closed and we had to drive for another hour - at least - to get across the river and back to Cobh) since we got to see a coastal Massachusetts. I fell in love! One of our favorite stops that day was in Salem, MA, where we walked around town and toured the Salem Witch Museum. And for once, Alan and I were perfectly aligned - that was our favorite town we visited. (I also loved Newburyport and Portsmouth, NH.)

Since y'all know I'm somewhat obsessed with real estate - gasp! - I tend to keep my eye on what's available in places I love. I don't know that we'll ever move to any of these places, but I wouldn't say no if someone said we had to. I am intrigued by the idea of living in one of the historic houses near the harbor. And not historic like here in Oakland (our 1910 bungalow, for example). I'm talking HISTORIC. As in this beauty built in 1771. Yes, before this was America.

Salem, MA
$439,000
2 bedroom, 1 bath | 1250 square feet


Restored Antique home steps from Salem Harbor and The House of the Seven Gables. This delightful 2 bedroom home features wonderful period details including gorgeous Georgian paneling, beaded clapboards with antique nails, 4 period fireplaces, and fabulous gardens. Come enjoy this beautiful gem in the heart of the Salem's Maritime Historic District.