Friday, July 13, 2012

THE STATE OF OUR MEDICAL SYSTEM

So, I have good insurance. Let me just start by saying that. To borrow an old, out-of-date saying I have the Cadillac of medical insurance.

So you'd think I wouldn't have so many problems with my doctors, right? You'd think they'd want me as a patient instead of, I don't know, a bunch of low income people who probably pay in $10/monthly installments over the course of 10 years. (Sorry, mean, I know.) You'd think since I pay everything that my insurance doesn't cover in cash, upfront, that when I called to get an appointment that they'd try to fit me in.

Sadly, you'd be wrong.

I have been trying to see my gastroenterologist since December.

You read that correctly - DECEMBER.

When I called, in pain and in tears, they told me the earliest they could see me was May 31. I took the appointment because really, what else was I supposed to do? He's the only gastro I've ever seen and I actually like the doctor. I don't have the patience to get into the long version of what happened with that appointment, but let's just say that they had two different dates/times in their system for me and it wasn't the one I had. No appointment for me. The receptionist told me they could fit me in in SEPTEMBER. It was their clerical error and the best they could do was make me wait another couple of months? At that point I was livid and let her know that their treatment of me was unacceptable - she didn't feel the need to apologize too profusely or try to fix their error.

Ten minutes ago my phone rang, an Oakland number I didn't recognize.

They were calling to tell me that the doctor had a change in his schedule and that he needed to cancel, but that ... (wait for it) ... they could fit me in in OCTOBER.

I've been trying to get a fracking appointment since December at this point and you're now offering me something TEN MONTHS LATER?!

<livid>

I told the receptionist that she could take her October appointment and shove it and that effective immediately I was canceling my relationship with the doctor.

So I guess I need to find a new gastro, endocrinologist, gynecologist, and primary care physician. God I hate having to deal with this shit. Why can't I just be well like most normal people?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry. :(

    If you move here we have tons of docs who you wouldn't have to wait more than a month to see. :

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a ton of doctors here too, I just had the misfortune to get referred by my primary care physician to the one that has more patients than he can possibly see. I'm looking into getting rid of the whole group and going with practitioners who run their own office instead of ones that are part of a larger medical group. 

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....