Saturday, September 13, 2014

Decorating the Casa

Ever since selling the house 1.5 years ago, I haven't written anything much about decorating because the apartment we're renting isn't really ours and it doesn't necessarily feel like home. You'd figure after living here as long as we have that wouldn't be the case, but it is what it is. While we're trying to figure out what the next phase of our lives bring, we've got everything we need in this place, and it's nice enough, but I don't focus too much time and energy on making it anything more than what it is - a nice rental in a great neighborhood.

But ...

I have a penchant for buying rugs. And unfortunately it's a bad penchant because most of the rugs that I buy do a ton of offgassing and make me sick to my stomach. As I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the couch in the coming weeks, that means a lot of time with noxious fumes wafting my way from our last purchase. While I do love that rug, it doesn't love me back unfortunately.

So, when I saw that Rugs USA was having another of it's amazing sales (it's the only place I buy rugs because of the unbeatable prices), I grabbed the chance to replace our current one with something that I am fervently hoping won't make me sick. My experience is that certain fibers are bad, other fibers are good. Strangely, wool rugs are the death of me. Who woulda thunk it?

So, what did I get?

braidedrug

It's a little homey, and not at all contemporary, but that's what draws me to it. It reminds me of Maine, and I could use a little of that in my life.