Friday, October 21, 2011

CROCHETING

One of the best things I learned from my step-grandma growing up (besides, of course, poker with pinto beans as currency and loteria) is how to crochet. As kids my sister and I would spend hours crocheting pot holder handles, baby blankets, pot holders, etc. In college I even made myself a blanket (seen in this post) which was quite the accomplishment. In fact, I think that may be the last time I finished a crocheting project.

The past couple of months I've been wanting to take it up again so while I was at Michaels I looked at yarn and needles and books. Um, I didn't understand a word those books said. Did y'all know stitches have names? And that there are a lot of numbers involved in crocheting? I have no recollection of how Grandma taught us to crochet, but we did not learn any of that stuff (at least I don't remember learning any of that stuff - Jenny?).  I could have been looking at a book in Russian and I would have been able to follow it just as well, which is to say NOT AT ALL.

So I'm thinking maybe I'll find a class at the local yarn shop in my neighborhood and maybe they can teach me "the right way" to crochet so that I can make something besides a straight row. Unfortunately the reviews on Yelp for this place are terrifying (apparently they're quite rude to customers), so maybe I'll check out a class at Michaels or something. I don't know. All I know is that I want to learn to crochet, for reals.







Oops, I've been told these last two pictures are actually knitted blankets. Well damn. Maybe I'll learn to knit too.