Thursday, August 18, 2011

Random Thought: On Fruit

I think maybe I don't like cantaloupe anymore.

We bought one this weekend and it sat on our counter, slowly getting soft. I kept looking at it thinking, "I should probably eat that." But I could never bring myself to do it. Then this morning I cut into it thinking I'd have a refreshing, juicy breakfast. The smell made me gag. I didn't remember cantaloupe smelling like that. then I bit into it - tasted fine, just like I remembered cantaloupe tasting, but somehow I didn't like it. And now I'm sitting here at my desk and I have the grossest taste in my mouth. I can't even describe it. It's disgusting. I think I might be over cantaloupe.

2 comments:

  1. hmm, this makes me think.

    -like tomatoes, what is sold as generic 'cantaloupe' can be many different types of melon, maybe this one isn't a good one.

    -pine nuts occasionally have a 'bad batch' which causes nasty after tastes (google it) maybe cantaloupes have the same thing?

    -how long had it been sitting out? Maybe it was starting to go bad in some subtle way.

    -(my best theory) you've been doing a lot of stuff with changing medications recently, right? I'm pretty sure some medications have side effects that affect your sense of taste. The indescribably gross aftertaste makes me suspect this more than simply changing tastes.

    Or maybe you just don't like cantaloupe anymore. (personally, I have no idea how I ever enjoyed the taste of diet soda - but I swear I used to prefer it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a musk melon (or was it a tuscan melon?) about a month ago that was the best damn melon I've ever tasted. (And the 12 year old boy in me has me chuckling at that statement.) This one had the same regular cantaloupe flavor that I grew up on, but it just was suddenly very gross to me. As you suggest, I wonder if the medications could be to blame. Come to think of it, I had a cucumber the other day and it too tasted gross to me. Must investigate this.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....