Tuesday, August 13, 2013

BEDROOM FURNITURE

Back when we lived in the house, I did a quick and cheap bedroom makeover that involved the beloved Ikea Rast side table. Whereas some bloggers managed to create truly amazing pieces, mine was ... well, amateur at best. Nothing like these beauties.









As a reminder, here's what my attempts turned out like.




Now, obviously that's not our bedroom anymore. These worked fine when we had a bright, colorful room. Now, our room is more soothing tones. We've also switched out the Ikea bed for our giant leather Chesterfield from Pottery Barn. And as of last week we have a new mattress. It's HUGE. I'm not kidding. I need to run and jump to get into bed. We also splurged and bought an adjustable box spring, making the bed even larger. In addition to these tables being wrong from a decor perspective, they're now off in terms of scale. I actually can't reach the table at night when I am taking my pills or putting my iPad away.


I've been considering what I need to do to complete this room - after all, we've lived here six months now - and in addition to getting art work up on the walls, I think the side tables need to be addressed. I'd love to replace them with antique dressers. Not only would that suit the look of the room, but we'd have more storage, something we're in desperate need of now that we're in a two bedroom condo with no basement storage.

Here's what I'm thinking:


Pinterest | No Source

Pinterest | No Source

Pinterest | No Source

(Side note: What's up with people pinning things to Pinterest and not giving credit to the source?)

Anyhow, I've been scouring the local salvage shops and haven't found anything that would work. I found an arts & crafts Mission style dresser on Craigslist for $150 but by the time I wrote to the owner it was already gone. Since then, nada.

Alan's bemoaning my new inspiration. He thinks the Rast tables work fine. We're at an impasse. If I can't find anything, and he can't be brought around to my way of thinking, I think the Rast chests might just have to work. But not in their current incarnation. They need to be updated. New knobs? Definitely new paint (since I did a pretty bad job before). Maybe some feet to raise them up?

The question is, how much work do I want to put in? I mean, I don't have a basement anymore to actually do the work. I guess I could cart them out onto our balcony, but I'd have to be really careful about getting paint everywhere since, you know, this isn't actually our place.

So, what do you think? How should I move forward with this very big conundrum?