Tuesday, April 09, 2013

DECORATING FAIL

We've been on a kick lately to get our pictures hung up in the condo. I think there's just something about having things that you're familiar with, and had in prior homes to make a new place feel more lived in and personalized. Because this is a rental unit we didn't want to put a bunch of holes in the walls with our frames, so instead we turned to one of the blogosphere's favorite products: 3M Command Strip picture hangers. So far they've worked on one small gallery wall, but on another section of our house it was a complete and utter fail.

I'm talking broken picture frames and damaged walls that cannot be repaired. We had gone this route in an effort to protect our rental walls, and now we're left with damage that cannot be fixed. I wouldn't even know where to start. And it's not like we can just cover up the damage with a picture or something because apparently that doesn't work in this space. I'm so pissed off.


5 comments:

  1. I wonder what happened! I have used these all over with no damage or falling frames :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, no clue. I had wondered if the pictures were going to hold as well as some bloggers say. I wouldn't have been terribly troubled about the frames because we've had them for years, but the damage to the "wood" surround has me livid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the picture hangers have weight limits, but I can hardly imagine the frames being too heavy. I blame the wall

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used these a lot in two different homes and have had mostly great success with them, but have definitely had some failures, and yes, one ended up breaking a frame. I now tend towards overkill in the number of strips I use and make sure they're "cured" by waiting longer than they suggest between putting it up on the wall and hanging up the frame permanently.


    Sorry about the damage -- that really sucks. The only thing I can think you could do for that is to get a wood repair marker in a matching color and color it in. Which, yeah, is kind of lame, but I can't think of anything else that would cover it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one of the ideas we've played with. Or somehow hanging a picture over the messed up spot, but that would require using the strips again, and that's what got us into this mess in the first place.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....