Wednesday, December 21, 2011

LAST DAY IN NEW ORLEANS

Alan pointed out to me last night that I never posted about our last day in New Orleans. Oops. Here it is just days from Christmas and we were there for Thanksgiving. To say I'm behind schedule on this one is an understatement.

Anyhow ... moving right along.

We woke up Sunday to cold temps and gray skies which I actually prefer at this time of year. But still, it was quite disconcerting to go from 80 and sunny to 50 and wet. The forecast for the week showed that it would get cooler and that we'd have intermittent thunderstorms throughout the trip, but nothing that prepared us for how cold it actually was. We didn't have jackets to wear, so thank goodness I had had the foresight to travel in my Uggs and bring a scarf for the plane. I think that's the only thing that kept me even remotely warm on our last day.

Since our flight wasn't until 6 p.m. we had plenty of time to fit in some last minute sight seeing during the afternoon. We started the day off with brunch at Muriel's. The atmosphere was really elegant but relaxed, and our brunch was made even better by the addition of a live jazz trio. I figured it didn't matter what I ordered since everything that week was making me sick, so I decided to go big on my last meal in New Orleans. I started off with turtle soup which was excellent, and then followed it with ... I can't remember actually. I do remember, however, that it tasted GOOD and that I was very happy with my meal. In fact, I was happy with everything about Muriel's. Contrasted with our meal at Galatoire's the night before, it was night and day.


By this point in the trip, I think Alan's a bit sick of having his picture taken.

After lunch we walked through the French Market looking for a gift for Alan's mom and then decided to try to do a walking tour of the Fabourg Marignay and then back down through the quarter. We started off by going to an open house for a condo on Chartres that I really loved. At $399,000 I thought it was a good deal so I hope it finds an owner who will love it as much as I did.

We were freezing and our attempt at a made-up-on-the-spot walking tour was going less than successfully so we decided to head back through the quarter to our hotel. Still, it was a good attempt at working off some of the rich, heavy food we had at brunch.









And this concludes our New Orleans trip report. I'm looking forward to going back in the next five to ten years. I think this time, however, I'd like to visit for Jazz Fest.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love New Orleans.  I've only been there once and it was for work, so I really want to go back for me sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ....